David W. Deal
B.A., Trinity College (with Honors)
M.B.A., University of Massachusetts (with Honors)
J.D., Oklahoma City University School of Law (with Honors)
David W. Deal has been a trusted advisor to many of the world’s top companies in commercial, corporate and insurance matters. He joined the firm after 15 years representing local, national and global companies. His clients have included participants in the Construction, Real Estate, Financial Services, Food & Beverage, Hospitality & Tourism, Professional Services, Transportation, Communication & Electronics, and Retail & Manufacturing sectors.
Most recently, David served as Senior Corporate Counsel at Apple Inc. He has also been a Senior Director/Counsel at Allianz, General Counsel of a regional financial services company, and a Senior Counsel for an AM100 international law firm.
In law school, David was a member of the law review board of editors and research assistant to Professor Richard Coulson. He received a Certificate in Commercial Law and was a member of the William J. Holloway American Inn of Court.
He brings particular knowledge and skill to the following areas:
- Commercial Transactions
- Supply chain; retail and distribution
- Joint ventures and partnerships
- Leases/purchases of real property and equipment
- Outsourcing arrangements
- Professional services agreements
- Multinational transactions
- Customer warranty and service contracts
- Corporate Law
- Mergers and acquisitions; formations, dissolutions and restructurings
- Organizational agreements (shareholder, intercompany, operational)
- Director and officer activities and liability
- Asset purchases and sales
- Employee policies and agreements
- Brand management and protection; intellectual property licensing, assignment and management
- Professional licensing and regulatory compliance
- Formation of closely held and family businesses
- Risk Management
- Corporate insurance program design
- Self-insurance programs
- Captive programs
- Claims activity; book/program management
- Insurance Transactions, Regulation and Coverage
- Coverage analysis and options; bad faith
- Program design and regulatory approval (forms, rate)
- Market conduct compliance
- Surplus lines regulations
- Insurance company and producer licensing
- Litigation strategy and management
- Fronting arrangements
- MGA formation ,regulation and activities
- Cumis issues
- Product distribution and sales
- Reinsurance transactions and disputes
- Business disputes
- Contract disputes
- Owner/partner disputes
- Multijurisdictional and cross-border coordination
- Business torts
- Settlement strategy
United States Supreme Court
Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter
Associate in Surplus Lines, Reinsurance, and Regulatory Compliance
Certified Compliance Professional
Certified Six Sigma Black Belt
Representative Publications and Speaking Engagements:
Author, Houses of Straw: How Business Owners Can Lose (and Bolster) the Limited Liability Protection of Their Business Entity, June 2018, www.vanlevylaw.com.
Author, How to Jockey A Major Business Deal, May 2018, www.vanlevylaw.com.
Presenter, Global Regulation of Insurance and Service Contracts, Gotham Insurance Symposium, NY, May 2017.
Presenter, The Regulatory Juggernaut Keeps on Trukin’ – but Who’s Behind the Wheel? The Regulatory Response Across The Globe To the Financial Crisis of 2007-2012, International Bar Association, Vienna, Austria, October 8, 2015.
Co-Author, Operations and Legal M&A, Insurance Networking News, October/November 2014.
Presenter, Property & Casualty Topics, 2014 AICP Annual Conference, September 14, 2014 (Phoenix, Arizona).
Chapter Author, Assisting Clients with Reinsurance Issues, Inside the Minds: Assisting Clients with Reinsurance Issues, Thompson Reuters, July 2014.
Presenter, Reinsurance – What Insurance Compliance Professionals Need To Know, AICP E-Day, May 8, 2014 (San Francisco, California).
Presenter, Legal Ethics and the Tripartite Relationship, All Attorney Conference, March 19, 2014 (Los Angeles, California).
Presenter, Hot Topics in Surplus Lines, AICP Annual Conference, October 6, 2013 (San Antonio, Texas).
Presenter, Emerging Issues in Surplus Lines Insurance, AICP, Webinar, August 13, 2013.
Presenter, Building Effective Relationships With Outside Counsel, ACIC 24th Annual General Counsel Seminar, July 23, 2013 (Las Vegas, Nevada).
Presenter, Regulation of Catastrophe Issues, IRES, April 30, 2013 (Savannah, Georgia).
Counsel for Petitioner, Mock Arbitration, ARIAS Fall Convention, February 2008 (New York City, New York).
Presenter, U.S. Developments in International Insurance/Finance Transactions, International Forum on Insurance-Related Transactions, January 2008 (London, United Kingdom).
Author, Director’s Vulnerability to Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims for Compensation Decisions: Where Have We Been, Where Are We Now?, Oklahoma City University Law Review, Summer 2005.
Author, The ATCA: Are Foreign Defendants Vulnerable To Lawsuits In United States’ Courts For Human Rights Violations That Occur Outside of the United States, Business Law Quarterly, Spring/Summer 2005.
Author, Can An Unhappy Minority Shareholder Divide A Family Farm: Oklahoma’s Good Cause Rule for Dissolution of a Family Farm Corporation, Oklahoma City University Law Review, Fall 2004.