David W. Deal
B.A., Trinity College
M.B.A., University of Massachusetts
J.D., Oklahoma City University School of Law
David W. Deal has been a trusted advisor to many of the world’s top companies in commercial, corporate, and regulatory matters. He joined the firm after 15 years representing local, national and global companies. Most recently, David served as Senior Corporate Counsel at Apple Inc. He has also been a Senior Director/Counsel at Allianz, and General Counsel of a regional financial services company.
He brings particular knowledge and skill to the following areas:
- Regulatory compliance and advocacy – resolution of disputes with governmental bodies, license acquisition and maintenance, guidance on ombudsman and consumer advocate complaints, formation of regulated companies, product filings and compliance, compliance analysis. He has represented top companies with key regulators. For example, David counseled a major company on the successful resolution of market conduct noncompliance allegations, which resulted in significantly reduced damages and permission to continue selling the product.
- Commercial transactions –supply chain, partnerships and alliances, purchase/sale agreements, licensing and intellectual property agreements, leases, indemnification agreements, outsourcing arrangements, professional services agreements, and multinational transactions. For example, David has negotiated many billions of dollars in commercial agreements including contracts in dozens of countries, contracts between Fortune 50 companies, and contracts to support revolutionary new business programs.
- Corporate transactions – entity formation, stock/asset purchase agreements, mergers and acquisitions, intercompany agreements, due diligence. For example, David has shepherded the legal aspects of the sale of a regulated group of companies from one set of investors to another.
- Corporate governance – compliance programs spanning global operations, managing board meetings and activities, advising D&Os on potential liability and insurance issues. For example, David was an officer and director of multiple companies each with nearly $1B in annual revenue.
- Risk management – insurance/reinsurance purchasing and structure, design of captive insurance companies, errors and omissions insurance program design, legal risk assessment of operations, internal investigations, self-insurance analysis, SIR strategies, claim management, TPA and claim handling outsourcing, and coverage analysis. For example, David has guided the risk management programs for multiple global companies.
- Insurance and service contract product development–consumer insurance product design, approval and distribution. For example, David guided the creation and implementation of an equipment manufacturer’s customer-facing insurance and service contract program across more than 40 countries.
- Government affairs –legislative analysis and tracking, legislator and regulator briefings, whitepapers. For example, David successfully represented a major workers’ compensation insurer in its advocacy before regulators of changes to the administrative code interpreting a major piece of legislation that significantly affected its financial bottom line.
David has been retained in a wide variety of forms:
- To develop and execute strategies to resolve specific pieces of litigation, transactions or risks.
- To serve as the company’s outside general counsel.
- To review department and company policies, procedures and programs.
- To advise on structuring corporate insurance programs.
- To structure, draft and negotiate high-value, high-complexity insurance, warranty and service contract programs and transactions.
- To provide business consulting on legal risks – i.e., where can a company obtain its best “bang for the buck” on investments into legal and risk management infrastructure.
- To coordinate global research and analysis on worldwide product and process implementations.
- To lead cross-functional teams of local lawyers to create integrated strategies related to regulated or high-risk products across multiple jurisdictions and specialties.
United States Supreme Court
Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter
Associate in Surplus Lines
Associate in Reinsurance
Associate in Regulatory Compliance
Certified Compliance Professional
Certified Six Sigma Black Belt
Representative Publications and Speaking Engagements:
Presenter, Global Regulation of Insurance and Service Contracts, Gotham Insurance Symposium, NY, May 2017.
Presenter, The Regulatory Juggernaut Keeps on Trukin’ – but Who’s Behind the Wheel? The Regulatory Response Across The Globe To the Financial Crisis of 2007-2012, INTERNATIONAL BAR ASSOCIATION, October 8, 2015 (Vienna, Austria).
Article Co-Author, Operations and Legal M&A, INSURANCE NETWORKING NEWS, October/November 2014.
Presenter, Property & Casualty Hot Topics, 2014 ASSOCIATION OF INSURANCE COMPLIANCE PROFESSIONALS ANNUAL CONFERENCE, September 14, 2014 (Phoenix, Arizona).
Presenter, Hot Topics in Surplus Lines, ASSOCIATION OF INSURANCE COMPLIANCE PROFESSIONALS ANNUAL CONFERENCE, October 6, 2013 (San Antonio, Texas).
Presenter, U.S. Developments in International Insurance/Finance Transactions, INTERNATIONAL FORUM ON INSURANCE-RELATED TRANSACTIONS, January 2008 (London, United Kingdom).
Article Author, Director’s Vulnerability to Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims for Compensation Decisions: Where Have We Been, Where Are We Now?, OKLAHOMA CITY UNIVERSITY LAW REVIEW, Summer 2005.
Article Author, The ATCA: Are Foreign Defendants Vulnerable To Lawsuits In United States’ Courts For Human Rights Violations That Occur Outside of the United States, BUSINESS LAW QUARTERLY, Spring/Summer 2005.