Van De Poel, Levy, Thomas, Arneal, LLP is committed to protecting your privacy and that of your business and employees, while providing you with the opportunity to receive our services. VLTA may collect information relating to you as an individual (including certain sensitive personal information, where permitted by law) (your “personal information”). This includes the Payment pages we have on our site “Pay My Invoice” or “Retainer Deposit”
This privacy notice (the “Privacy Notice”) describes the ways in which we collect information from you, including specifically when you use our website (the “Website”), and what we may use it for. This Privacy Notice also applies to our collection and use of information in the normal course of business. This Privacy Notice is at all times subject to any applicable requirements of local law and regulation.
This Privacy Notice describes:
- what personal information we collect about you;
- how we obtain your personal information;
- how we use your personal information;
- on what basis we use your personal information;
- how long we keep your personal information;
- who we share your personal information with;
- how we protect your personal information;
- which countries we transfer your personal information to; and
- your rights regarding your personal information.
What personal information do we collect about you?
We may collect personal information from you in the course of our business, including through your use of our website, by our use of “cookies,” when you contact or request information from us, when you engage our legal or other services or as a result of your relationship with one or more of our staff and clients. Much of that data comprises business information, but some of that data may inevitably comprise your personal information. The personal information we may collect and use includes:
- name and contact details (including addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, titles and other business information);
- logs of emails and internet use, including your use of the Website;
- financial information, such as payment-related information;
- technical information, such as information from your visits to our website or applications or in relation to materials and communications we send to you electronically;
- information you provide to us for the purposes of attending meetings and events, including access and dietary requirements;
- identification and background information provided by you or collected as part of our business acceptance processes;
- personal information provided to us by or on behalf of our clients or generated by us in the course or providing services to them, which may include special categories of data;
- information submitted through our career or alumni websites or our other digital platforms or applications; and
- any other information relating to you which may be provided to us.
How we obtain your personal information
We collect information or data from you in various ways, including:
- during the course of your use of the Website (this will include any and all material you send or submit either to the Website or to any email address provided on the Website);
- information which you provide to us and when we request further information from you from time to time;
- as part of our business acceptance processes and about you and others as necessary in the course of providing legal services;
- while monitoring our technology tools and services, including our websites and email communications sent to and from VLTA;
- when monitoring our technology tools and services, including our websites and email communications sent to and from VLTA;
- when you provide it to us, or interact with us directly, for instance engaging with our staff or registering on one of our digital platforms or applications;
- from providers of compliance-related information or credit-related information; and
- from other sources, such as keeping the contact details we already hold for you accurate and up to date using publicly available sources.
How we use your personal information
We collect and use data collected from you (however collected), including any personal information, for the following legitimate business purposes of VLTA:
- administration and functionality of our Website, digital platforms and applications;
- to process your requests and answer your inquiries;
- the continuation of VLTA’s business and the provision of legal services;
- to fulfill the purpose for which you provided the information;
- provision of information regarding VLTA and our offices, and on our services, seminars and publications, our marketing information and all other information or materials offered by us;
- sending of newsletters, legal updates and all other information or materials offered by us;
- consolidation of information relating to our clients and vendors among VLTA offices;
- for our dedicated careers and alumni services; and
- matters incidental to the purposes of use set out above, where permitted by applicable local law and regulation.
Your personal information may also be used by VLTA for compliance with legal, regulatory and other good governance obligations, including responding to requests from legal or regulatory authorities (in any location where such authorities would have jurisdiction over VLTA), dispute resolution and pursuing our legal rights.
You may use the Website without providing us with your personal information. However, some features on the Website allow you to provide us voluntarily with personal information. All practicable steps will be taken to ensure that you are informed at the time of asking for your personal information as to whether the provision/collection of the personal information (including sensitive personal information, subject to applicable local laws and regulations) is mandatory or voluntary. If the provision of your personal information is mandatory for a specified purpose, we will let you know that this is the case and inform you of the consequences of failure to provide such personal information.