VLT CONSTRUCTION COUNSELING AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION
VLT’s Construction Counseling and Dispute Resolution team represents clients in California, throughout the United States, and internationally in all phases of the construction process in a variety of roles, from advising project participants on optimal project delivery systems, to negotiating and drafting all manner of construction-related contracts, to serving in a course-of-construction advisory role to project owners, developers, and contractors, to representing clients in alternative dispute resolution proceedings such as mediation, judicial reference proceedings, administrative law proceedings, and arbitration.
While our attorneys are driven first and foremost to anticipate and avoid disputes for our clients without resorting to costly and time-consuming litigation, when the gloves come off and litigation is inevitable, we’ve got your back. Our attorneys have decades of combined experience successfully representing some of California’s and the nation’s largest, most prominent construction industry participants in all stages of litigation from state court proceedings at the county level, to appeals in both state and federal court, to matters that have been decided in the California and United States Supreme Court.
Our Construction Counseling and Dispute Resolution team has extensive experience with the following:
|Construction Law and Counseling||Project Delivery Methods|
|Contract Drafting and Negotiation||Public Works Contracting|
|Bid Protests||Subcontractor Listing Laws|
|Unbalances Bids||Bid Errors and Mistakes|
|Course-of-Construction Dispute Resolution||Delay Claims and CPM Schedule Analysis|
|Construction and Design Defects||Change Order Disputes|
|Lost Productivity Claims||Cumulative Impact of Changes|
|Construction Damages||Accounting and Forensic Analysis|
|Caltrans Specifications||Differing Site Conditions|
|Mechanic’s Liens||Miller Act Claims|
|Bond Claims||Public Records Act|
|State and Federal False Claims Acts||Government Code Claims|
|Fraud Investigations (Internal and External)||Litigation Risk Analysis, and more….|
Recognition & Publications
- Our attorneys have been invited to testify before the California State Legislature to provide their expert opinion on the potential impact of proposed legislation on California’s construction community.
- Our attorneys serve, or have served, on various boards and panels related to the construction industry, including membership and advisory roles in various construction industry and dispute resolution groups, such as the AGC Legal Advisory Committee and the Congress of Neutrals.
- Our attorneys have given lectures and presented seminars and classes to various construction industry groups, speakers bureaus, and educational institutions, including the following:
- California Construction Law – Lorman
- Advanced Construction Law – Lorman
- Disappearing Dirt and other Games Contractors Play – (Caltrans District 4)
- Construction Delay Claims – Project Management Institute – Honolulu, HA
- California Lien Law – NBI
- Legal Strategies for Successfully Working with OSHPD – California AGC
- Fundamentals of Construction Law in California – NBI
- 10 Ways to Stay Out of Trouble with your Lawyers – University of California, Graduate School of Engineering
- Force Majeure Clauses in EPC Contracts – Oil & Gas Law Symposium (Houston, Tx)
- Project Management Boot Camp – Three-day, in-house seminar for Bay Area City’s Public Works Department
Other Practice Areas
Employment LawEmployment Law VLT offers a full range of Employment Law expertise — from pre-litigation advice, to assisting employers with HR-related issues, to litigation proceedings (jury trials, court trials, binding arbitrations, and mediations). Our Employment...
Estate PlanningEstate Planning Our goal is to provide the highest quality legal advice regarding the transfer and management of our clients’ wealth and administration of a decedent’s estate. The Estate Planning practice at VLTA differs from other firms in that the...
Homeowners Association Defense
Homeowners Association DefenseHomeowners Association Defense VLT attorneys represent Homeowners Associations (HOA’s) as well as the Directors and Officers who volunteer their time and talent to serve in such roles. We understand that due to the broad nature of an...
Premises LiabilityPersonal Injury VLTA’s Personal Injury Practice Group is broad and varied. The firm represents clients involved in all kinds of accidents with minor to catastrophic injuries and/or psychiatric harm as a result. Accidents may involve negligence,...
Products LiabilityProducts Liability Over the years, VLT has defended product manufacturers and retailers facing liability cases in dozens of industries. Products Liability defense requires a sophisticated understanding of the product, knowledge of engineering and...
Professional LiabilityProfessional Liability VLT's professional liability team focuses on defending Architects and Engineers, Attorneys, Dentists, Physicians, Optometrists, Real Estate Brokers/Agents, Financial Planners/Accountants, and Insurance professionals. The...
Real Estate Broker/Agent Malpractice
Real Estate Broker/Agent MalpracticeReal Estate Broker/Agent Malpractice VLT represents parties and companies against a wide range of claims related to real estate sales transactions and loans. We work closely with our clients and their insurance carriers to insure...
Transportation LawTransportation Law VLT’s Transportation Law Practice Group is experienced in all areas of transportation law and draws interdisciplinary expertise from our other practice groups, including Commercial Law and Product Liability, as well as our general...
Commercial and Corporate
Commercial and CorporateCommercial and Corporate Our corporate attorneys assist our clients in developing and implementing far-ranging solutions to various matters. Our clients are from a range of industries, including insurance, construction and real estate,...
Business Disputes and Litigation
Business Disputes and LitigationBusiness Disputes and Litigation Our Business Litigation practice handles complex disputes representing leaders in diverse industry sectors. Our attorneys provide pre-litigation advice for business decision-makers and...
AppealsAppeals Appellate litigation requires lawyers that understand the law, possess a keen understanding of appellate procedure, and are skilled oral advocates. VLT’s team of talented lawyers are dedicated to our client’s appellate needs, having drafted briefs and...